Build Thread Crazy Idea - 'X-Saw'

Thread: Crazy Idea - 'X-Saw'

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Crazy Idea - 'X-Saw'

So, looking at my machine last night, i was thinking about different silly/useful attachments i could make for my CNC machine...

I come up with the 'X-Saw'

This is one of them ideas that i dont think this will be useful to anyone else but me, with a limited tool shop!

This idea is to have a hacksaw blade/ cheese cutting wire attached to the Z axis, and using the linear motion of the X axis to make a nice flat cut on stock material, or for my application builders foam...

Ok i expect your thinking why not just use a hot wire cutter. Well i would but the foam i use to make models/plugs etc...wont cut with heat

Gcode would be simple enough, making a .tap file with Sheetcam, with different Z values depending on depth pass per cut..

I need near enough true blocks of foam 300mm x 300mm for my vaccume forming table...

Im at work so excuse the non 3d models design, but you get the idea...

Thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crazy Idea - 'X-Saw'-saw-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Cosha View Post
    So, looking at my machine last night, i was thinking about different silly/useful attachments i could make for my CNC machine...

I come up with the 'X-Saw'

This is one of them ideas that i dont think this will be useful to anyone else but me, with a limited tool shop!

This idea is to have a hacksaw blade/ cheese cutting wire attached to the Z axis, and using the linear motion of the X axis to make a nice flat cut on stock material, or for my application builders foam...

Ok i expect your thinking why not just use a hot wire cutter. Well i would but the foam i use to make models/plugs etc...wont cut with heat

Gcode would be simple enough, making a .tap file with Sheetcam, with different Z values depending on depth pass per cut..

I need near enough true blocks of foam 300mm x 300mm for my vaccume forming table...

Im at work so excuse the non 3d models design, but you get the idea...

Thoughts?
    How about a motorized bread/turkey carving knife on one side, modified to attach a section of band saw blade the length you need, with a springy support for the band saw blade on the other end? A turkey carving knife cuts soft cushion foam easily if there is a little weight on top to slow down the shaking.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good thought, but thats kinda what i use now, well with cheese wire not a blade, the only trouble i find with that, is there is alot of vibration going on, and even though it cuts OK i still get a top or bottom taper?

Downloads
    Uploads

Good thought, but thats kinda what i use now, well with cheese wire not a blade, the only trouble i find with that, is there is alot of vibration going on, and even though it cuts OK i still get a top or bottom taper?
    How long is your "blade" typically? With foam cutters that use wire there will be a tendency to climb or dive in the material if the tension, wire temperature, and speed of travel are not just right for the material. I would expect similar attention to details would be needed for this idea. If there is too much shaking going on you need to control it somehow, in a way that doesn't also put too much drag on the cutting blade.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well for for hot wire cutter a i have a jig that cuts spot on, flat as flat can me, its gravity fed...

Umm around 600mm is the cheese wire, under tention around B (says my guitar tuner )

The building foam is not like to your normal Blue/pink/white foam - it is very dense, you can just about make a nail dent in it - cuts lovely with a normal saw

With a barbed cheese wire, using your had and the bow i can get lovely cuts!

I guess i was hoping to use the stability of my machine to cut slowly...

Downloads
    Uploads

Well for for hot wire cutter a i have a jig that cuts spot on, flat as flat can me, its gravity fed...

Umm around 600mm is the cheese wire, under tention around B (says my guitar tuner )

The building foam is not like to your normal Blue/pink/white foam - it is very dense, you can just about make a nail dent in it - cuts lovely with a normal saw

With a barbed cheese wire, using your had and the bow i can get lovely cuts!

I guess i was hoping to use the stability of my machine to cut slowly...
    I have no experience with the barbed cheese cutting wire. Another wire to consider may be the carbide coated wire that is used for hack saws similar to this one. I don't know if it is available in longer lengths. There are diamond coated wires also. I don't think the sawing action needs to be as fast as a carving knife. Anyway, food for thought.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Cosha,

Can you elaborate on the foam you are using? Type, brand name etc.?

Thanks,

ErnieD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Buy Wall Insulation 1200 x 2400 x 100mm Celotex GA3000 Insulation online from express bricks

Here you go

Foil is removed when making molds, makes a mess when cutting great to sand etc...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Celotex machining qualities

Cosha,

How do you find the Celotex machines? Can you post pictres of anything machined in it? I can see it being useful as a tester before commiting to a large expensive block of stock!

AWEM

Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK